Monday, September 24, 2012

September 24, 2012 - "Back in the Saddle"

In keeping with the theme of my previous post, I thought I would call this one "Back in the Saddle".  Unlike my last post, where my racehorse Visionaria gave me inspiration to move past my accident and get back into fighting shape, in this one, it's time to reverse roles.

Since I last posted, Visionaria had her final workout before getting ready to race.  After the workout, she was favoring her rear leg.  A bone scan revealed a slight stress fracture.  Long story short, she's got to fight, once again to get back on the track.  Projections right now are for a return sometime Spring 2013.

As far as I am concerned, I had been keeping up with my cardio on an elliptical, but that's just not the same as running.  My Team Challenge-NJ group already had their training runs at 5 miles and I hadn't run since the day before my accident (May 20). On August 30th, I went out for a run in my neighborhood and ran just under 2 miles.  Trained 3 more times between then and this past Saturday.  On Saturday, I re-joined Team Challenge-NJ for their 5 mile training run in Saddle Brook park in NJ.


I don't know if it was the adrenaline caused by the emotions of being back with the group, but it was probably the easiest 5 miles I have ever run.  I felt like I could have gone another 5.  There are so many things that makes this group so amazing to be a part of.  As excited as I was about being there and completing the run with no problem, THEY were more excited for me.

I am officially "back in the saddle"!   Do you hear me Visionaria ?

No comments:

Post a Comment