Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Next 20 Years

As difficult as it is to deal with Crohn's disease, you would think all of us would do everything we could to avoid a flare up.   I cannot tell you how many times I have either eaten or drank something that would knock me on my ass.  I still mess up today although not nearly as much as I did in the past.

Five years after Angela and I were married, we were divorced.  Thinking that just because I was married and had a child that I had "caught up" with my friends, obviously was not the case.  The next 15 years of living by myself, learning who I was is really when I grew up and matured as an adult.  Unfortunately, too many late night meals and too much alcohol consumption led me down a path of self destruction as far as my Crohn's was concerned.  Many of the medications associated with helping ease the symptoms of Crohn's disease are sulfur based.  Unfortunately, I am allergic to sulfur, therefore all of my flare ups were treated with huge cycles of prednisone.  In fact, I was on and off prednisone for a total of 33 years.  Can't even begin to describe what that has done to my body.  It has been 9 years since I have taken prednisone.  I can confidently say that no matter what happens to me, I will never again take that awful medication.  During the 15 years after my divorce, I had 3 more surgeries.  Two were Crohns related and the 3rd was to remove my gall bladder.  My last surgery was in December of 2002.  After that surgery, I was left with about half of my colon and precious few feet of my ileium.   Unfortunately, by early in 2003, Crohns was back.   I knew that I had to do everything and anything that I could to prevent any more surgeries.  It was at that point in my life that I made the change that finally put me in control of Crohn's rather than Crohn's being in control of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment