Monday, May 14, 2012

May 14, 2012 - Spectacular Weekend

Wow, what a weekend !  Before I get to the details, I just wanted to say that because I really watched my diet and my physical activity leading up to the weekend, I was able to really enjoy myself without a sign of a flare up.

Got a surprise call from my daughter Jill last Wednesday, letting me know that her boyfriends dad had gotten 4 tickets to the Yankee game on Thursday night and one of those tickets was for me.

Had a great time at the game, which turned out to be a 5-3 Yankee win.  My friend Frank bartends in a private club in the stadium.  We went to the bar for a few innings.  Had a couple of beers and had a bunch of food (burger, soft pretzel, chicken tenders and fries).  Not the best diet, but I deserve it.

Friday night was a family dinner at a restaurant in town.  Emily's entire family was in town for Adins bar mitzvah.  Her mom and dad, brother Jimmy, his wife Jenn and their 3 kids (Jake, Dylan and Arianna) came up from Florida.  Her brother Chuck, his wife Barb and their son Ellery, were in from Chicago, but their flight did not arrive in time for dinner.  My brother Larry, his girlfriend Colleen and my nieces Kari and Tia also joined us for dinner.  Because of the game the night earlier, I only had 1 drink with dinner and had pasta.  With the bar mitzvah the next day and I wanted to take it a little easy this night.

Here is a picture of Arianna playing with our dog Lulu and a video of the twins (Jake and Dylan) jamming out in our music room.


Saturday was bar mitzvah day.  Adin really did a great job.  He worked hard and was pretty much flawless.  The party was spectacular with a ton of great food.  The DJ was terrific!  Everything worked out better than we could have hoped for.  Here is a short video of Arianna, my daughter Jill and Grandma Cindy dancing at the party.


The party ended around 4:30 p.m.  As the co-host of the party, I didn't get to eat as much as I would have liked to, which was probably a good thing.  I did have a bartender chasing me around the entire party with full drinks (vodka), although, I really didn't need her to twist my arm.

Got home around 5.  The whole family came over our house for some late day pizza around 6:30.  I ended up in the basement with Adin, my brother and Frank to watch game 7 of the Rangers/Capitals series.  The Lundqvist shrine, complete with the "broadway hat" worked like a charm, as he had a great game.  The Rangers won 2-1.


Yesterday we all got together at our home for a nice Mothers Day brunch.  That was followed by some street hockey with all 3 generations playing.  I went for a run in the afternoon.  I ran a little over 7 miles, which, considering all the alcohol I had consumed the day before, wasn't bad.

I barbecued dinner around 5 and everyone left for their hotels about an hour later.

I cannot put into words how great the weekend was.  Sometimes, expectations are so great, they cannot possibly be met.  In this case, they were exceeded.  I love spending time with my family, especially when it is centered around such a momentous occasion.  The most important thing for me was that I stayed completely free of even a sign of a crohn's flare up.  Taking care of myself in the days leading up to the weekend made everything possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment