Friday, February 3, 2012

February 3, 2012 - Indy...FINALLY !!

Haven't blogged most of this week.  I spent most of the week basically going nuts waiting for today and my flight to Indy.  I just needed to stay as calm as possible, eat as smart as possible and get plenty of sleep.

The staying calm was the toughest, until I figured out what to do.  Workout, workout and more working out until I had no energy left.  That actually took care two issues, keeping me calm and sleeping well at night.  I ate pretty well all week and left for the airport this morning feeling terrific.  Mission accomplished.

This morning at the airport was almost a disaster.  Newark airport has a parking lot where you then need to get on bus which takes you to the terminal.  I parked my truck, went into the back to get my suitcase, looked up and saw the bus pulling up.  Locked up, zipped over to the bus stop and made the bus.  Once I got to the terminal, I got on line to check in, reached into my pocket to get my keys to put them in my carry on.  No keys.  Checked the carry on.  No keys.  Uh oh !!  It's a 30 minute roundtrip ride to the lot and I'm not even sure where the keys are.  My first thought was to turn around and head back to the lot, chancing that I may not make it back in time to make the charter flight.  Then, I thought about my friend Frank.  Frank works part time for Continental and I knew he was working this morning.  I called him on his cell phone and long story short, he spoke with his boss and explained the situation.  His boss asked him if I was a Giant fan.  When he replied, "yes", he told Frank to head out and find those keys.  Frank went to the lot, saw the keys sitting on the back of my truck, brought them to me and a disaster was avoided.  I owe you big time my friend.

Plane ride was great !  500 or so Giant fans including retired Giant punter, Sean Landetta.  Sean spent the entire flight walking through and talking to everyone on the flight.  When he got to me, he was nice enough to allow me to wear his 2 Super Bowl rings and take this picture.


Talk about a great start to a trip !

Sean told a really funny story to everyone on the plane.  He played for almost 20 years and at the end of his career, he played for the St. Louis Rams.  All players get papers every year where they need to make a choice of where they would like their retirement money to go (i.e. stock, bonds, interest bearing account).  They were given the papers on a plane ride home from an away game.  A 1st year player sitting in front of Sean on the plane started cursing a few minutes after the coach gave him the papers.  Sean leaned forward and asked him what the problem was.  He said, "I'm a receiver.  All I'm asked to do is run, run and run some more.  This paper is bullshit".  Sean couldn't imagine why he would say that, so he asked him.  The player then said, "Look, Sean, you're a punter, you don't have to run all the time.  I'm a receiver, I run non-stop and now they are asking me to run a damned 401k".  Almost peed myself, I laughed so hard.

Headed to the hotel and decided to just take it slow and easy today.  I never react very well to flying and the rest of the weekend is going to be crazy, so I just hung in the room.  My brother is driving into town tonight and will not be here until sometime between 11-12.  Tomorrow will be all day in town and of course, Sunday is game day.  We'll talk again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment