Monday, January 2, 2012

The 2012 Daily Diary Begins - January 1, 2012

What a perfect day to start a daily blog, especially one that deals with illness and how I combat that illness.

New Year's  Eve was a blast.  My brother Larry, his girlfriend Colleen, my friend Frank and his girlfriend Debbie came over Emily and my home.  They all arrived around 8 p.m..  Frank and Debbie cooked and brought dinner, Larry and Colleen brought wine and Emily and I took care of the appetizers and dessert (along with liquor and champagne).  By 9 p.m. I already was working on my 3rd vodka (Frank always inspires me to pound my drinks down).  For all you "crohnies" out there, you may want to hide your eyes when I tell you what and how much I ate and drank that night.  Appetizers were a platter of salami, pepperoni, cheddar cheese and crackers, a platter of raw vegetables with dips and a zillion of Emily's famous chicken puff pastry (filled with a cream sauce) dish.  I didn't touch the veggies but had a good amount of the salami platter and probably 20 of the chicken puff pastries (they are so damned good).  Dinner consisted of 2 big pieces of chicken parmesan, 3 manicotti's, roasted potatoes and about 10 pieces of Italian bread.  Dessert was a large jelly cookie, along with 3 or 4 other assorted cookies.  I was working on vodka number 6 or 7 when the clock struck midnight and the traditional glass or 3 of champagne.  A 1:00 a.m. glass of port closed out the festivities.

Needless to say, January 1 was no fun at all.  For anyone that really knows me, the next statement will tell all of you just how bad it was.  I turned down 2 free tickets to the Giant/Cowboy game.  I barely slept and by the time I got out of bed the only thing worse than the headache I had was the stomach pain, nausea and complete lack of energy.  My esophagus felt like someone was lighting it on fire.  The key for me to snap out of that self-inflicted flare up is complete rest of everything.  It's a complete day off for my intestines.  What that means for me is liquids only.  My liquid of choice is a Myoplex Lite shake.  Not an overabundance of protein, which makes it pretty easy to tolerate and digest.  A couple of those and an absolute do nothing day (Emily would call it a "pajama day") and I was starting to feel better by around 5 p.m.  At that point, I decided to try a bowl of Special K with Lactaid and I felt pretty good after eating, but that was it.  No matter how I felt, I would not put anything else in my system the rest of the day.  Hung out on the couch with Lulu (our basset hound) and watched the Giants beat up on the "Cowgirls" at night.  Other than having absolutely no energy (I think Emily was nervous at how quiet I was during the game), by the time I went to bed, I was feeling much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment