Thursday, January 19, 2012

January 18, 2012 - Willpower

I have a major issue with eating "junk", especially any form of cake.  It's tough to ask my wife not to buy any junk, what with 2 teenagers living in the house.  I had a solution for the problem that would make everyone happy.  Just yesterday, I asked Emily, when buying sweets, to only buy chocolate.  Over the past couple of years I have developed some sort of allergy to chocolate.  If I so much as put my lips on any kind of chocolate, I immediately get a splitting headache and severe nausea.  You may ask yourself, why doesn't he just not eat the sweets that his wife buys, no matter what kind it is.  I really do my best at watching what I eat, but when it comes to cake, I have absolutely no willpower.  So, with my chocolate idea, the kids would be happy and I would have absolutely no temptation.

"Every time I try and get out, they pull me back in"!

That line, one of the few good things to come out of The Godfather III, really hit home today.  After the boys got home from school today, they went over a friends house.  That friends dad works for place in NJ called Delicious Orchards.  Without going into boring detail of what that place sells, all of my plans went right out the window because the boys came home with not 1, not 2 but 3 packages of Apple Cider Donuts.  Just kill me!

I really need to get a better understanding of exactly what happens in the brain when temptation hits.  Why do I have full control over some things and absolutely no control over others?  Is there a drug secreted in the brain that renders us helpless in our fight against temptation?

The boys went to their dad's after they got home from their friends.  Emily and I had a nice dinner at a local Japanese restaurant.  After we got back home, I wasn't in the house for 10 minutes and I had already eaten 2 donuts.


" Every time I try and get out, they pull me back in"!

No comments:

Post a Comment