Monday, January 30, 2012

January 28-29, 2012 - The Weekend

In the post entitled "January 27, 2012", I wrote the following paragraph:

I can already feel the excitement building as I reach the "one week to go" point leading up to leaving for the Super Bowl.  This means I really need to do everything I can to start taking good care of myself.  The excitement is great, but it is leading to less sleep.  Since I booked the trip, my mind has been racing at night, keeping me up.  If it means having to take a little something extra to help me sleep for the next week, I'm going to do it.  Nothing more important for me to fight off illness than great nights of sleep.  I think, starting tonight, I'll take an extra half of a Unisom.  If that doesn't work, I know Xanax will.

All of the above is, in theory, great.  The problem is, when you've got tons of stuff to do, it doesn't matter what medicine you take, you have to get up early anyway.  That was my weekend. 

On Saturday, I didn't have anything specific scheduled in the morning, just had a lot of things I needed to do.  I got up pretty early, probably had somewhere between 5-6 hours of sleep.  Early in the day, I had a bunch of errands to run.  I was planning on leaving around 4:30 p.m. to head up to the Meadowlands for the handicapping tournament.  The decision I had to make was whether or not to try and squeeze in a run somewhere in between.  I ended up running 4 miles.  Finished my run around 3:45 p.m.  Took a shower and had about 20 minutes or so to relax before leaving to pick up Frank and head to the tourney.  Was getting restless hanging in the house, so I left a little early.

Frank and I had a great time at the contest.  They had a real nice spread of food out.  Some chicken, pasta a vegetable and dessert.  All of the deadbeats, uh, I mean entrants, were given a $100.00 bankroll.  We had to bet 10 of the 13 races.  We can only bet on 1 horse per race and the minimum bet is $10.00.    We can only bet win or place.  The top 5 get prize money and the top 2 gain entry into the finals, which is held in Toronto early in 2013.  There were 120 entrants and by the end of the 4th race, I was in 2nd place.  After each race, they have a screen that shows the top 25 along with their present bankroll.   It was so funny because when my name popped up in 2nd place, Frank started getting nervous.  The more nervous he got, the more he ate.  I couldn't stop laughing.  For the rest of the race card, other than 1 race, the favorites kept winning.  I was looking for more value on my bets and lost a couple of photos.  Not sure where we finished, but I do know it was out of the money.  By the time I got home, wound down and got to sleep, it was around 2 a.m.

Sunday morning is hockey time and Adin had an early game.  I got about 5 hours of sleep...again.  Adin scored a goal on a breakway in the first 2 minutes of the game and his team won, 12-5.  We stopped at a diner on the way home and had lunch.  By the time we got home, it was around 12:30 p.m.  Emily and I headed right out to double team the food shopping.  Once we got back and all of the food was put away, we took Lulu for a walk.  By the time we got back, I started to feel sick.

It's amazing how little sleep deprivation my body can take, because I went from feeling great to needing to be in bed in about a span of 15 minutes.  I have to admit, my first reaction was a bit of freaking out about the possibility that what was happening in my body might somehow affect the Super Bowl trip.  I got over that in a hurry.  I listened to my body and headed to the bedroom (around 4 p.m.) to try and get some sleep.  Didn't have to try very hard, because the next thing I knew, it was 6:45 p.m.  When I got up I was feeling exactly the same as earlier.  No energy, throat raw, headache and joints aching.  Emily had made chicken and rice and I had a little bit of it.  By 9:30 p.m., I was back in bed.  I know exactly what my body needs to get better.  In this case, I knew it was a looong night of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment