Saturday, January 28, 2012

January 27, 2012 - Twitter

The internet is many things.  It is a source of endless information.  It enables us to keep in touch with friends that live in different parts of the world.  It's a place to sell or buy just about anything.  One of the most important aspects of the internet is the support it can provide for people that are living with a disease such as Crohn's.  For followers of this blog that also suffer from either Crohn's or any form of IBD, if you are not already part of a support group, you should be.  I am a member of twitter (my handle is "crohnsbeater").  It is just amazing the amount of support we all try and give each other.  Real life situations like while sitting in an emergency room with the endless wait to be called on, tweets of support are sent out in droves to those people.  I can go on and on about some of the specific sharing of information and more importantly, emotional support that these "friends" provide.  I would rather just say, if you suffer from any type of illness, become a member of a social media site.  You will be happy you did.

I can already feel the excitement building as I reach the "one week to go" point leading up to leaving for the Super Bowl.  This means I really need to do everything I can to start taking good care of myself.  The excitement is great, but it is leading to less sleep.  Since I booked the trip, my mind has been racing at night, keeping me up.  If it means having to take a little something extra to help me sleep for the next week, I'm going to do it.  Nothing more important for me to fight off illness than great nights of sleep.  I think, starting tonight, I'll take an extra half of a Unisom.  If that doesn't work, I know Xanax will.

Spent most of today working on 2 things.  Not necessarily in order of importance, I got much of my 2011 tax information together and also did most of my handicapping for tomorrows contest at the Meadowlands.  My friend Frank is my partner for the contest.  Frank is closing on a new house next week, which is the only reason he is not going to the Super Bowl with my brother and I.  My extra incentive for winning the contest is winning enough money where Frank comes with us.  The "downside" to Frank coming is that the trip would have a very realistic chance of turning into "The Hangover, Part 3".  In between working on the taxes and handicapping, I went for a run in a driving rainstorm...love it.  I ate really well all day.  Cereal for breakfast, a shake for lunch and pasta for dinner.

I am now officially ready for my trip.  I took my step-son Adin to get a haircut and while I was waiting I talked to one of the guys about dying my "playoff beard" Giant blue for the game.  Like I said, I am officially ready.


No comments:

Post a Comment