Sunday, January 15, 2012

January 14, 2012 - Crohn's and Seasickness

I don't know if it's just me or anyone that has Crohn's, but I NEVER get seasick.  I can't tell you the number of fishing trips I have been on where entire boats have been sick, but not me.  Friends have said to me they don't understand with my stomach, how I'm not sick.  Two summers ago, I went on a fishing boat out of Point Pleasant, NJ with Emily, the boys and my in-laws.  There were probably 50 other people on the boat.  I think my father in-law and I were the only 2 left fishing.  I felt bad for everyone, but, at the same time, it was nice, for a change, not to be the one that was dealing with stomach issues.  Besides, I think I caught 17 fish that day. 

First day of hockey practice today for my 13 year old step-son Adin.  He is in a house league in a nearby town.

Hockey has always been one of my favorite sports.  I managed many of my daughter Jill's softball teams when she was growing up, however, never had coached hockey until last year when Adin played.  It was his first year of playing and it was nice to see him get better and more confident every week.  I'm really looking forward to both he and his brother Josh playing this year (Josh's league does not start until April).

Speaking of Josh, he has the flu and by mid-afternoon yesterday, I wasn't feeling too well.  I was planning on going for a run in the afternoon, however, when I started feeling lousy, I decided not to.  I have a major phobia about the flu.  I was told by doctors that it was the stomach flu that I got when I was 13 that ended up, because of my messed up immune system, turning into Crohn's.  I do get a bit mental when it comes to being around people that have the flu.  I wasn't sure if the not feeling well was mental or the real thing, but I wasn't taking a chance.  I got the heck out of the house and headed over to the track for dinner (not that I need an excuse to do that).  Sure enough, as soon as I got there, I started to feel better.  It really is amazing how the mind can affect us physically.  As long as I feel well, I think tomorrow I will make up for the missed run with a double workout (run and weight lifting).  After that, it will be Giant football time.

No comments:

Post a Comment